Dry mouth is a common irritation. But when it's unrelieved, it can point out a serious health problem. The National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research suggests how to combat an occasional case of dry mouth:
- Keep water or a sugar-free drink on hand and drink regularly.
- Avoid beverages that contain caffeine, which can be drying.
- Boost saliva output with sugar-free gum or hard candy.
- Avoid drinking alcohol or using tobacco.
- If dry mouth appears connected to a medication, speak to your doctor about adjusting the dose or changing to a different drug.
- Run a humidifier at night.