With Spring-Cleaning Season adults had to protect family members and pets from accidental poisoning. They also warn about products meant to be mixed at home. But there's often little safety, use or ingredient information offered by the purveyors of some of these schemes. Safe use is built-in to formulated cleaning products.
In combination with National Poison Prevention they suggest some Cleaning advice:
- Never assume a cabinet is too high for a child to reach. Cleaning supplies, medicines, cosmetics, chemicals and other products that can cause poisoning should be stored in cabinets with child-safety locks.
- Properly close child-resistant packages after use. Keep in mind that child-resistant isn't the same as child-proof and is not a substitute for storing products locked away from children.
- Always read and follow the directions on product labels. Pay special heed to products with labels that include Caution, Warning, Danger or Poison.
- Don't throw away Original packaging. Household product labels include first-aid information that will be needed in case of accidental exposure or ingestion. For thrifty shoppers who buy products in bulk quantities, it would be wise to purchase a smaller size of the same product and refill the container as needed.
- Dispose of empty cleaning containers, including detergent jugs. Never use them for storing other materials, especially not food items.
- Always wash your hands after using cleaning products. Utensils used to measure or dispense medicines should be thoroughly washed with soap and water or placed in the dishwasher.
- Use one household cleaning product at a time. Mixing products together could produce harmful fumes or other dangerous chemical reactions.